Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Don't want to jinx it....

One of the areas of 'self-sufficiency' I have been struggling with has been my garden. Every time I try to plant something, it gets eaten up before it can even get started. I was about to throw in the towel when I found some super cheap gallon size tomato and pepper plants at the Home Depot. Some of them already had fruit on them, which is normally not a plus, but it was so late in the season I knew if I didn't get cracking there would be no tomatoes this year. What the heck, they were only two bucks each, so I went for it. I decided that putting them in the ground was not going to work out so I would try to grow them in containers on my upstairs deck, out of the sight of those devious squirrels and rabbits.

 I'm afraid to even say anything. but so far moving the plants to the upstairs deck has worked out beautifully. I am knocking on wood now. The two tomato plants have three tomatoes each and several more flower blossoms that are in the process of becoming tomatoes. The basil plant is suffering, only because we just don't use very much basil so the leaves are just getting droopy. The pepper plant has lots of little buds which I hope will all turn into peppers. Or maybe not...when I bought the plant I chose it for its lovely green and curly leaves. I had never heard of "Caribbean Red" peppers before. Did a little research and discovered that they are one of the hottest peppers in the world! Twice as hot as habeneros! No bueno for me, I am a real lightweight when it comes to spicy food.

I picked up a couple more of those super bargain plants at the Depot yesterday. This time I went with what I knew and got "California Wonder".

No comments:

Post a Comment