Monday, June 14, 2010

Slowly but surely...

Everything I am doing to re-start my life is taking forever. Right now, we are in the process of building the chicken coop and I just wish it was done already. We are using reclaimed materials to avoid spending any money, but it requires so much more thinking and planning. Time is something I've got lots of, but it is draining my energy and enthusiasm. Of course, it could also be the weather. I can't stand hot dry weather. I realize people move to San Diego just for the weather, but that's not why I'm here. I'm a second generation San Diegan. I'm only here because I was born here and all of my family lives here. I'd love to move, but it would break my mom's heart...

There is so much more to my "simple life" than just chickens. I am also going to start baking bread, and teach myself how to make cheese and soap. I'm having a hard time finding the ingredients for cheese and soap, though. I had to go to three different stores before I could find lye, a crucial ingredient in soap making. And even then, all I could find was 'drain cleaning crystals' which contain sodium hydroxide, so I'm not sure that's even going to work. The cheese project is on hold until the chickens move outside. We don't have a garage, only a carport and even though we live in the city, we have seen raccoons in our yard. I just wouldn't feel good putting the babies outside in a cardboard box. They'll be out in their custom coop pretty soon, then the cheese making can begin. By the way, the chicks don't live in the kitchen. I just feel wary about culturing dairy products with farm animals inside the house. I'm also waiting to begin a sourdough starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment