Wednesday, May 26, 2010

We Interrupt This Purge to Bring You Baby Chicks....

Yesterday as I was getting ready to start my chores, I got a call from the post office informing me that my shipment of "live birds" had arrived. Baby Chicks! Ooh, darn, I wasn't quite ready. I had the brooder box built, I visited the feed store last week and bought chick starter, and I had the waterer and feeder in my possession, but I hadn't yet put it all together. It wasn't a big deal, but I was so anxious to finally have my chicks and I wanted everything to be just right.

 The babies arrived safe and sound from My Pet Chicken. They were even more adorable than I had imagined!! I carefully removed them from their mailing box one by one and dipped their beaks first in water, then in chick food as I had seen Martha Stewart do on her recent show devoted to backyard chickens. And then I just watched. It was fascinating! I was mesmerized! I wanted to share it with someone, but nobody was home except for my son Julian. He had worked until midnight the night before and was sound asleep. I so wanted to wake him up & make him look at the chicks with me, but I didn't. Besides, Julian doesn't get excited as easily as I do. I knew he wouldn't adequately appreciate these marvelous little fuzz balls. So, I sent a text with a picture to my friend Timbrely because I knew she would share my joy. I think if I had encouraged her, she would have left work just to come over & see them.


I had so much to do but it was nearly impossible to tear myself away from the "Baby Chicken" show. They are just so stinkin' cute! I would do some work, then check on them, do a little more, come back for a quick peek. Fold laundry, pick up chicks and pet them til they fell asleep in my hand. Not a productive day, to say the least.  Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment