Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Welcome to Your New Life...

In 2009, the company I had worked for for 22 years went out of business. Worse still, my husband also worked there. So there we were, both out of work for the first time in our whole adult lives. I had never imagined that something so harsh would happen to us. Our family has been through real tragedy, so I knew this wasn't the worst that could happen. But it was still pretty bad. Trying to find a job at age 44 is difficult and discouraging. It's slim pickings out there!

 My life was so automatic before. It was a very comfortable rut. But those days are gone and I am forced to rise to this new challenge., so I might as well make the most of it. I've been reading a lot about "self sufficiency" and urban homesteading. The world is changing, and the age of consumerism is fading for many of us. More and more people are intrigued by the self-sufficient lifestyle. We are drawn to the pursuit of a different kind of happiness. Growing our own food, making stuff, learning to do more for ourselves, living a simpler life.

I've been fascinated by it for most of my life. I'm kind of a Gen-X Hippie. And so, since I have to start all over anyway, why not try something completely different? I still have to look for a "real" job, but I'm going to give this "Simple Living" a shot. And I'm going to blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment